[j-nsp] weird MTU size on "show interface"

Wojciech Owczarek wojciech at owczarek.co.uk
Fri Oct 1 07:10:17 EDT 2010

This is just the way Juniper do things, just that it's not consistent
across all of their platforms. I've once been told by a Juniper
engineer that  1514 vs. 1518 MTU value is  displayed (on the EX
platform at least) because the 4 bytes of CRC are not taken into
account as the CRC is not part of the media MTU (which kind of makes
sense). Excerpt from "Configure the Media MTU" in Juniper docs:

"The actual frames transmitted also contain cyclic redundancy check
(CRC) bits, which are not part of the media MTU. For example, the
media MTU for a gigabit Ethernet interface is specified as 1500 bytes,
but the largest possible frame size is actually 1504 bytes; you need
to consider the extra bits in calculations of MTUs for
interoperability."

So while not really a problem, this does cause some confusion.

HTH,

Cheers,
Wojciech