[j-nsp] J6350 Jumbo frame MTU and OSPF setting

Ben Dale bdale at comlinx.com.au
Sun Oct 3 19:56:03 EDT 2010

Hi Harris,
> However, increasing the MTU size on both the J6350s may not be able to get a better TCP throughput, because the Host NICs and Switchport are also using MTU 1500 right? Should I change the MTU size on Host NICs and Juniper EX switches to MTU 9018 in order to prevent the frame fragmentation happened below 9018?

There should be no more drops if your end devices are 1500 MTU and the "core" network is 9018.  As for your throughput, that is a little harder to calculate, but the figures you are quoting seem quite low even with 80 ms latency.

Latency aside, you should be able to easily saturate a 100Mbps pipe with 1500 byte frames on a J6350 without issue (in terms of PPS).  I don't believe adjusting the MTU size is going to make that much difference, but it is worth trying.  I would be inclined to kick off iperf with a UDP test with 1500 byte frames to see what throughput you can get out of the pipe first, then start investigating TCP/MSS issues.

Cheers,

Ben