[j-nsp] Subrate speed on GigE requiring CoS / Policer configuration

Dale Shaw dale.shaw+j-nsp at gmail.com
Tue Oct 5 23:44:51 EDT 2010

Hi Chris,

On Wed, Oct 6, 2010 at 1:44 PM, Chris Evans <chrisccnpspam2 at gmail.com> wrote:
> As this is a lab we want to limit the bandwidth that comes out of
> the LAB to 15megabits, but using GigE for the physical connection on an m7i.

I have no hands-on experience with M-series but is there any reason
you can't use traffic shaping to limit the transmit rate? ('set
interfaces ... shaping-rate 15m')  It can't be tuned as much as the
equivalent function in IOS but unless you're trying to interoperate
with a particularly aggressive intermediate device, it should do the
job. We use it instead of egress policers on J and SRX, and we use it
in conjunction with schedulers, including a priority queue for voice.

My understanding is that it (the shaper) should introduce back
pressure/congestion when the interface reaches the specified transmit
rate.

Cheers,
Dale