[j-nsp] JunOS on EX-4200 stack corruption

Dale Shaw dale.shaw+j-nsp at gmail.com
Wed Oct 6 20:00:58 EDT 2010

Hi Tim,

On Thu, Oct 7, 2010 at 10:09 AM, TiM <tim at muppetz.com> wrote:
> Has anyone seen an issues where, once a stack looses power (all at once,
> sadly), some members of the stack come up with corrupt JunOS on them?
>
> We have a stack of 6 EX4200's.  Due to a power issue, all 6 lost power at
> the same time.  When power was restored, the Master, the Backup and one
> linecard mode switch came up fine.  The 3 other linecard mode switches
> didn't.  On powerup they all reported shared libaries not being found and
> similar "file not found" type errors.
>
> Reinstalling JunOS from the boot prompt has fixed the problem.
>
> Has anyone else encountered corrupt JunOS problems on EX4200's,
> specifically in a stack configuration, before?

Yes, it's been a serious, ongoing problem for us. We have ~1200
switches across ~360 VCs. We're running JUNOS 10.0S1.

There is a PR for the problem - it's PR/543776. There is no permanent
fix as yet but there is a workaround available in 10.0R4, 10.1R4,
10.2R3, 10.3R2, 10.4R1 or later. It's called 'Automatic File System
Mirroring and Automatic Recovery' and at this stage you'll need to
talk to JTAC about it.

cheers,
Dale