[j-nsp] JunOS on EX-4200 stack corruption

Chuck Anderson cra at WPI.EDU
Wed Oct 6 22:00:41 EDT 2010

On Thu, Oct 07, 2010 at 12:55:17PM +1300, TiM wrote:

> On Thu, October 7, 2010 12:50 pm, Chuck Anderson wrote:
> > On Thu, Oct 07, 2010 at 12:09:16PM +1300, TiM wrote:
> >> Has anyone seen an issues where, once a stack looses power (all at once,
> >> sadly), some members of the stack come up with corrupt JunOS on them?
> >
> > Yes, I've seem this happen.  The moral of the story is make sure you
> > have good UPS battery backup and redundant power supplies.
>
> Yes, we had all that.  Don't ask :)
>
> Do Juniper know about, do you think it's worth logging a TAC case?

Yes, please do ask them why the BSD filesystem it uses doesn't have
soft updates/softdep or journaling enabled.  Oh look here, Juniper was
one of the sponsors to write journaling support for FreeBSD's UFS:

http://www.osnews.com/story/23205/FreeBSD_UFS_with_Softupdates_Journaling

So maybe we'll see it in JunOS eventually.