[j-nsp] RED Setup SRX240

Giuliano Cardozo Medalha giulianocm at uol.com.br
Thu Oct 7 05:32:31 EDT 2010

  People,

I am trying to setup (in lab) a RED configuration using a SRX240 box
(flow mode).

We need to demonstrate the Junos ability to discard packets using RED
drop profiles instead of Tail Drop routing with 2 Gigabit Interfaces.

The gigabit interfaces used to this test are ge-0/0/0 (wan) and ge-0/0/1
(lan) and best effort std queue.

We are trying to pass a routed traffic of 2 Mbps across these two
interfaces.

After we start traffic across this interfaces ... it pass exactly 2 Mbps
and not  1 Mbps (?!?!?!)

When we try to see RED traffic on interfaces ... it only shows up TAIL
DROP Statistics and not RED Statistics ...

Router> show interfaces queue ge-0/0/0
Router> show interfaces queue ge-0/0/1

I really do not know what is wrong with the configuration, to test and
demonstrate RED capabilities of JUNOS.

Could you help me with that ?

Thanks a lot,

Giuliano

Basically we have configured:

set interfaces ge-0/0/0 per-unit-scheduler
set interfaces ge-0/0/1 per-unit-scheduler

drop-profiles {
     RED-1 {
         fill-level 50 drop-probability 50;
     }
}
interfaces {
     ge-0/0/0 {
         unit 0 {
             scheduler-map qos-red;
         }
     }
     ge-0/0/1 {
         unit 0 {
             scheduler-map qos-red;
         }
     }
}
scheduler-maps {
     qos-red {
         forwarding-class best-effort scheduler be;
     }
}
schedulers {
     be {
         transmit-rate 1m exact;
         drop-profile-map loss-priority any protocol any drop-profile RED-1;
     }
}