[j-nsp] Use of lt-Interfaces on Juniper MX for binding multiple VPLS Instances to several CCC (unidirectional Ethernet P2P) Servcies RxTx-loop to same interface

Prochaska Gerhard gerhard.prochaska at a1telekom.at
Fri Oct 8 09:34:12 EDT 2010

Hi !

We have a very special customer which is very sensible on packet loss. We tried VPLS with P2MP LSP and we have untolerable packet loss when we add/remove a
leaf to/from the P2MP Tree. We also have to provide the "make befor break" feature in situations when a wan link is taken out of order (at a previously known point of time; = scheduled repair work)
without packet loss an ongoing video transmission.

So now we use P2MP-LSPs with CCC, to distibute the traffic but we have two problems:

1. We need several copies of the Signal on the Node where the video source is.

The solution was a local VPLS instance (local means only inside a node not spanning several nodes).

So when we feed a signal to a node we have to be able to replicate a signal on the same node to make it possible to have a tester or other equippment connected to the node where the signal source resides.
So this need for local replication before even P2MP LSPs come into play is one reason why we use LT-Interfaces and physical loops to bind a local VPLS (which only exists on this one node and does not span over the network).

2. The second problem is, that we have packet loss when we add/remove an output-interfaces on the Target Node.

 We have to be able to have the same stream on multiple ports at the target site. We noticed that when we add or remove an output interface on the receive switch on the target node
we have massiv packet loss on the other interfaces which are part of the same connection (which means part of the same p2mp-receive-switch statement on this node).

As we do NOT have packet loss when we add and remove an interface in a VPLS we wanted to use the VPLS - LT-Interface - CCC Translation which we use on the side of the signal source
also on the target sites (video destinations).

But here the CCC - Lt-Interface - VPLS translation does not work at all. So we tried the physical loop which needs two dedicated 10G Interfaces and this works. But its an expensive solution.
Thats why i try tu use just a single 10G port and a Tx to Rx loop on this port.

does this explain it ?

greetings
gerhard

Wir haben neue Telefonnummern und E-Mail Adressen. Bitte aktualisieren Sie den Kontakt.

Dipl.-Ing. Gerhard Prochaska
Fixed Network Planning
Core Development, Implementation & Supp

A1 Telekom Austria AG
Arsenal 22 Obj. 22 A-1030 Wien
M:   +43 664 66 25690
T:   +43 50 664 25690
F:   +43 50 664 9 25690
gerhard.prochaska at a1telekom.at<mailto:gerhard.prochaska at a1telekom.at>

www.A1TelekomAustria.at<http://www.a1telekomaustria.at/>

Firmensitz Wien FN: 280571f
Handelsgericht Wien

P Bitte denken Sie an die Umwelt bevor Sie dieses E-Mail ausdrucken!