[j-nsp] Joining OPSF & IS-IS areas via 2 ABRs

Smith W. Stacy stacy at acm.org
Sat Oct 9 15:48:23 EDT 2010

In my configs and example topology, the only traffic that would transit abr2 would be traffic originating/terminating on abr2 (as long as abr1 and it's interfaces were up). Traffic from isis2 to ospf2, for example, would take the isis2->isis1->abr1->ospf1->ospf2 path. This is due to the 'metric add 30' lines in the policies on abr2.

It is true that due to default preferences traffic between abr1<-->abr2 would flow via abr1<--->ospf1<--->ospf2<--->abr2. If you would instead prefer it to flow via the isis domain, then you can adjust the ospf protocol preference on abr1 and abr2 to be higher than 18 (the isis preference value).

In my topology, I did not include a direct link between abr1 and abr2, because I interpreted your original topology to not include such a direct link between abr1 and abr2. If you have such a link, or want to add such a link, that doesn't really change the routing configuration. Simply include the link in the isis domain, but not the ospf domain.

Also, even with my configurations and changing the ospf preference on abr1 and abr2, traffic originating at abr2 will prefer still to reach ospf2 directly, rather than taking the path via abr1 and ospf1. I'm not sure that's a problem worth trying to solve. If you feel it's important to solve for your topology, please provide more details.

Finally, one minor correction to my policies. Remove the final 'then reject' action from the abr1-ospf-into-isis and abr2-ospf-into-isis policies. This allows the default isis policy to be triggered which will advertise the directly connected interfaces running isis (with the 'then reject' these routes are blocked).

--Stacy