[j-nsp] Flexible Ethernet Services Question

Paul Stewart paul at paulstewart.org
Thu Oct 14 10:05:26 EDT 2010

Hi folks.

We have an MX480 that is going to go into production shortly - I'm from the
Cisco world so apologize if this is a really basic question.  I've read
several docs and believe I understand this but wanted to ask the list.;)

MX480 with DPCE 20x 1GE + 2x 10GE R cards.

There will be two GigE interfaces coming in from a pair of Cisco 6500
switches.    Today these are VLAN trunks going from the 6500 to 7600 boxes.
The 7600's will be replaced by the MX480.

Using flexible Ethernet services on an interface I understand that I can set
the physical interface to vlan-tagging and then on a per logical unit basis
set encapsulation?  Today, it's a VLAN trunk that comes in and peels off
several VLAN's to their final destinations but also some SVI interfaces that
terminate as layer3 interfaces locally.

Example of what I'd like to do to clarify (again, sorry if this is really
basic stuff, coming from Cisco and still adjusting):

ge-4/1/9 {

    vlan-tagging;

    encapsulation flexible-ethernet-services;

    unit 0 {

        vlan-id 3;

        family inet {

            address 192.168.254.1/24;

        }

    }

    unit 10 {

        vlan-id 10;

        family inet {

            address 10.10.200.1/24;

        }

    }

    unit 55 {

        vlan-id 55;

        family ccc;

    }

    unit 119 {

        vlan-id 119;

        family ccc;

    }

}

ge-5/1/9 {

    vlan-tagging;

    encapsulation flexible-ethernet-services;

    unit 55 {

        vlan-id 55;

        family ccc;

    }

    unit 119 {

        vlan-id 119;

        family ccc;

    }

}

So on port 4/1/9 there is a VLAN trunked interface and I want to take vlan
55 and vlan 119 and "pass them through" to another trunked port via 5/1/9
out to another device (Juniper EX4200 in this case).  But I also want to
take vlan 3 and vlan 10 and have them terminate via layer3 on the MX box
itself.

Is family CCC the correct/best way to do this?  I presume I need to create
the VLAN's on the MX itself or does it matter when it's just passing
through?

Thanks in advance,

Paul