[j-nsp] BGP surveillance

Chris Kawchuk juniperdude at gmail.com
Thu Oct 14 18:28:15 EDT 2010

We're using Intermapper, with the BGP Status Probe.

When the NMS system receives a BGP down trap, it SNMP scans all known BGP sessions on the device; and looks for any that are not in the "Established" state. If it finds one (or more), it generates an alarm/page/email for each session that is down. (Just in case you had multiple BGP failures). It also periodically scans all sessions (30 seconds, 1 minute, 5 minutes, whatever you want to set it to), and refreshes it's alarm state.

It's commercial, but relatively inexpensive (www.intermapper.com).

- Chris.