[j-nsp] router recommendation

Richard A Steenbergen ras at e-gerbil.net
Thu Oct 14 20:40:16 EDT 2010

On Thu, Oct 14, 2010 at 02:16:16PM -1000, Richard Zheng wrote:

> I looked at MX80 before. Its 20x 10/100/1000 and 80G backplane is way
> more than what we need. M7i is also cheaper than MX80. I went through
> the history of this list. M7i got pretty good review, except the hard
> drive issue in 2005. For what we need, M7i seems a better option.

Honestly, no. If M7i was any longer in the tooth it would be in a
natural history museum next to a caveman and a wooly mammoth. Personally
I'm amazed that it's still officially supported at all, but when you
compare it to modern hardware it is ridicuously underpowered and nowhere
near as featureful. You'd have a FAR better long term return on the
investment going with an MX80 at this point, unless you *REALLY* need
non ethernet interfaces. Yes you can pick up an old box off ebay for
pennies, but the remaining useful lifespan is rapidly approaching
negative values if you put ANY kind of load on the box.