[j-nsp] BGP Blackhole communities

chip chip.gwyn at gmail.com
Wed Oct 20 10:33:46 EDT 2010

On Wed, Oct 20, 2010 at 7:46 AM, Nick Ryce <Nick.Ryce at lumison.net> wrote:

> Hi Guys,
>
> I am starting to play with BGP and have set up some communities to separate
> customer, peer and transit routes.  I am trying to figure out how to allow
> customers to send me a blackhole community number and then blackhole this.
>  Does anyone have any examples?  I have set up most of my communities
> following http://puck.nether.net/bgp/juniper-config.html but still cannot
> find any work examples of a blackhole community and how, when a customer
> adds this to a prefix, I can discard/nullroute this.
>
> Any help much appreciated
>

> Nick

http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5635

http://packetlife.net/blog/2009/jul/6/remotely-triggered-black-hole-rtbh-routing/

And I'm sure there was a few presentations on this in the NANOG archives but
I can't seem to locate them at the moment.  There's also lots of hits for
'remote triggered black hole'  in your favorite search engine.   You just
need to decide how big of blocks you want to let your customers advertise to
be black holed.  You can even take this one step further and announce the
prefix to your upstreams with the appropriate communities and have them
black hole as well.

--chip

--
Just my $.02, your mileage may vary,  batteries not included, etc....