[j-nsp] BGP Blackhole communities

Jonas Frey (Probe Networks) jf at probe-networks.de
Wed Oct 20 11:03:19 EDT 2010

Hi,

its easy:

- you need "multihop" on internal bgp sessions
- configure dsc:
unit 0 {
    family inet {
        address 10.10.20.1/32 {
            destination 10.10.20.2;
        }
    }
}

Add policy for blackhole filter:

# show policy-options policy-statement blackholefilter
term black {
    from {
        protocol bgp;
        community blackhole;
    }
    then {
        next-hop 10.10.20.2;
    }
}

- use this policy as import on internal bgp sessions (to propagate in
your network and block traffic directly on each node)

- add policy to your bgp customer as import policy:

term 2 {
    from {
        protocol bgp;
        community blackhole;
    }
    then {
        community add no-export;
        next-hop 10.10.20.2;
        accept;
    }
}

- define community blackhole:

# show policy-options community blackhole
members <yourAS>:9999;

You may need/want to tweak this to suit your needs. The above example
will allow everything upto /32 in size (usually what your customer will
want).

Regards,
Jonas