[j-nsp] BGP Blackhole communities

Richard A Steenbergen ras at e-gerbil.net
Wed Oct 20 17:03:28 EDT 2010

On Wed, Oct 20, 2010 at 04:23:23PM -0400, Chris Morrow wrote:

> 4) reset next-hop as you ship the route internally to IBGP neighbors
> (see ... the Wayne Gustavus's (verizon) talk from NANOG32 in Reston:
> <http://www.nanog.org/meetings/nanog32/presentations/soricelli.pdf>)
>
> there are, as RAS is pointing out, many ways to skin this cat.

Well, that would work if you're adding a local static route to discard
and then reannouncing it into IBGP... But if you're receiving the route
from a customre EBGP session that wouldn't install the null route on the
local box, potentially leaving you open to one customer flooding another
customer on the same router.

I also had some people point off offline that you could build a single
prefix-list policy, then allow null routes to be accepted, and THEN
begin your regular customer border policies. This is also true, but I
forgot to mention that I've also found value in having separate max
prefix limits for null route vs regular routes, which you couldn't
implement via a policy over a single session. This entire discussion
needs a giant disclaimer that says "Warning: The number of BGP speaking
customers out there who aren't really masters of route-map and who will
accidentally try to null route their entire bgp session is higher than
you might expect". Making them actually take the time to configure a
dedicated EBGP multihop session for it can help prevent these kinds of
accidents too. Oh and if you've got a mixed Cisco/Juniper edge, you WILL
need 2 prefix-lists to implement it on the Cisco, so the multihop
session lets you use a single clean solution to cover all edge routers.