[j-nsp] Rate Shaping on a J2350

Alex alex.arseniev at gmail.com
Thu Oct 21 19:26:33 EDT 2010

I did a similar exercise a while ago on T-series and it works, I would
expect it to work the same way on J-series.
Some tips:
1/ if you want to limit two or more customers to, say, 10Mbps each, don't
configure a "filter-specific" policer, configure a regular 10Mbps policer.
By default, a regular policer is term-specific and two or more customers can
be separately rate-limited by the different instances of the same regular
policer in different FW filter terms.
2/ "filter-specific" policer would come into play when you want to give a
shared (sub)bandwidth to two or more customers. If a policer is referenced
only once inside the FW filter, there is no difference between
filter-specific and default (term-specific) policer.
3/ with your example config, it is not possible to discriminate between
customers sharing 50Mbps bandwith - e.g. 1st customer could be clogging the
pipe up to own policer limit and all others will be forced to use what's
left of bandwidth delta (50Mbps less 1st customer policer limit).
Shaping+scheduling could be a better approach.
Rgds
Alex