[j-nsp] VPLS issue...

Derick Winkworth dwinkworth at att.net
Thu Oct 21 23:46:21 EDT 2010

I found three ways to keep the local interface up so it can hit the irb
interface even if all remote PEs for the VPLS instance are lost:

1.  Use two physical ports to the PE from the CE, one for VPLS and one for L3.
You could put a switch in front of your PE to accomplish this.  I think this is
the cleanest way.

2.  Plug a cable into two ports on the same PE (both ends of cable going into
same box).  Build a bridge-group for the VLAN.  Put one end of the cable into
the bridge group.  In the same bridge-group put the VLAN coming in from the CE.
The other end of the cable put into the VPLS switch instance.  Traffic coming
from CE will be bridged to the one end of the cable then come back around into
the VPLS instance.  The irb interface is specified in the bridge-group.  The irb
interface can exist in any routing-instance.

3.  Make an lt-x/x/x interface pair.  Build a bridge-group for the VLAN, put the
VLAN coming from the CE into the bridge-group.  Put one of the lt interfaces
into the bridge group.  This lt interface should be "encapsulation vlan".  The
other lt interface should be "encapsulation vlan-vpls" and put this into the