[j-nsp] SSG or J-series for virtual firewalling services?

Ben Dale bdale at comlinx.com.au
Tue Sep 21 19:54:52 EDT 2010

Hi Mike,

On 22/09/2010, at 5:13 AM, TCIS List Acct wrote:

> The J-series specs (which run JunOS) did seem to list a specific # of VRs, not sure if that is a license limit or just a "capacity" type of rating.  This PDF is quite handy for specs like that:
>
> http://www.juniper.net/us/en/local/pdf/datasheets/1000265-en.pdf
>
> For instance, it lists the J-6350 as having 30 VRs.

My experience with the JUNOS data sheet numbers is that they are the maximum "supported" from a JTAC perspective, however the box will continue to take configuration until it runs out of memory.  I just had a quick look back through the j-nsp archives for an old post of mine, where in JUNOS 8.4 I wrote a script that built 300 VRs (which was an arbitrary number) for a customer trying to do almost exactly what you are doing.  There certainly is no licensing on the J-Series (or SRX) for the number of VRs.

> It isn't clear from your answer if if I can have 192.168.1.x exist as a remote network for multiple customers (each with their own VR).. can you clarify?

>From a routing perspective, yes - all VRs are logically separate routing domains, so you can have overlapping prefixes without any issues.  Similarly, your firewall rules will be applied to zones which contain interfaces, which are placed in these VRs, so different zones can have overlapping address objects and your rulesets will all work as expected.

Where things become difficult is when you have multiple customers in their own zones/VRs and you want them to egress through a single zone/interface - if anyone out there has a solution (elegant or otherwise) for this scenario, I'd love to hear about it.

In the next week or so, I've got some IPSEC work that needs to be done for a customer who would like tunnels split between VRs as well, so I'll come back with my findings there.