[j-nsp] Does any one knows who fix Juniper Power Supply?

Martin T m4rtntns at gmail.com
Mon Apr 4 10:53:55 EDT 2011

Is it an AC or DC PSU? In addition, check you revision number as well.
You might be affected with following issue:

8<-----------------
Bulletin: PSN-2003-12-001
Title: Recommended replacement of older revisions of M20 power supply
Products Affected: This issue affects the following power supplies. No
other Juniper Networks products are affected:

Type Model Number Part Number Part Number Revision
M20 AC PWR-M20-AC-S 740-001465 Revision 7 and earlier
M20 DC PWR-M20-DC-S 740-001466 Revision 8 and earlier

To determine the power supply revision, issue the show chassis
hardware command. Following is sample output from the show chassis
hardware command:
Hardware inventory:
Item Version Part number Serial number Description
Chassis 23489 M20
Backplane REV 07 710-001517 AY3396
Power Supply A REV 04 740-001465 002414 AC
Power Supply B REV 04 740-001465 002482 AC

Platforms Affected M-series

Revision Number 1
Issue Date 2003-12-02

PSN Issue : Older revisions of M20 power supplies are susceptible to
the following problems:

A specific type of circuitry failure on the M20 power supply could
damage other field replaceable units (FRUs) in the system.

The monitoring circuitry used in the affected power supplies might
report a fan failure even if the fans are operational. These false fan
failures result in the same fan failure alarms and error messages as a
real failure. The only way to tell the difference is to visually
inspect the power supplies intake and exhaust fans from the sides of
the M20 chassis to verify they are spinning.

Following is an example of system log messages that report a fan failure:
alarmd[343]: Alarm set: Pwr supply color=RED, class=CHASSIS, reason=Power
Supply B fan failed

tnp_scb CM: ALARM SET: (Major) Power Supply B fan failed

Solution: Corrective actions have been applied to a new revision of
the power supply:
Changes were made to the M20 power supply circuitry to prevent
specific failures from damaging other FRUs in the system.

A component was changed in the fan-sensing circuitry on the M20 power
supply to correct the false fan failure. The newer revision of M20
power supplies also incorporate more robust, reliable fans to
eliminate premature fan failures.

The following M20 power supplies contain the changes:

Type Model Number Part Number Part Number Revision
M20 AC PWR-M20-AC-S 740-001465 Revision 8 and later
M20 AC PWR-M20-AC-S 740-007311 Revision 1 and later
M20 DC PWR-M20-DC-S 740-001466 Revision 9 and later
M20 DC PWR-M20-DC-S 740-007222 Revision 2 and later

However, I have no suggestions regarding the repair company. I would
take the PSU apart and try to understand as much as possible, how the
fan-sensing circuitry is built(which chips and sensors are used and
investigate the datasheets of those components) and repair it.

regards,
martin