[j-nsp] Juniper "firewall policer" inner workings

Martin T m4rtntns at gmail.com
Mon Apr 4 11:38:24 EDT 2011

Ben,
thanks for this "filter-specific" explanation!

Gabriel, Stefan, Chuck, Sthaug:

Packet loss, which Iperf rapports, boils down to how the
"bandwidth-limit" and "burst-size-limit" works. As Stefan mentioned,
it would be logical that everything below IP header is counted into
this "10m" as policer is under family inet. If so, the packet loss
should be 8 bytes per packet because the UDP datagrams Iperf send out
are following(checked this with tcpdump):

Iperf sends packets with 1470 byte payload. In addition, there is a 8
byte UDP header and 20 byte IPv4 header. So according to tcpdump the
whole IPv4 packet is 1498 bytes.

However, if 51020 UDP datagrams were sent during the test, it would do
(51021*8)/(1024*1024)=0.40MB lost data, but according to Iperf, the
dividing between the sent and received data is 1.7MB.

However, as increasing the "burst-size-limit", the packet loss decreases..

PS I don't mind this packet loss, it's just interesting to find out,
how the "bandwidth-limit" and "burst-size-limit" internally work on
Juniper platform :)

regards,
martin