[j-nsp] Changing SSH port on EX switches, M routers

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Mon Apr 4 13:07:46 EDT 2011

> From: "Stefan Fouant" <sfouant at shortestpathfirst.net>
> Date: Sun, 3 Apr 2011 21:27:06 -0400

As with any security system, you need to trade off the benefits versus
the costs. Aside from procurement and training costs, theer are
on-going maintenance costs and loss of productivity due to the
implementation.

FWIW, the system we use is quite straight-forward. It does require a
login to a bastion host with the SmartCard token followed by access to
the routing asset, also via SSH. IT really means:
$ ssh bastion1.es.net (not a real node name)
$ ssh chicago-router-1

You better have more than one bastion host and they need to be as
diversely located as possible in your network footprint.

The most common key-based attacks depend on stealing a private key,
usually with the pass-phrase. With the tokens, this simply odes not
work, making public key access pretty strong.

We have been using this system for over two years with minimal
operational impact and no cases where access was unavailable except when
tokens were physically damaged or forgotten.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)