[j-nsp] mitigating dos attack on Juniper M10i

Stefan Fouant sfouant at shortestpathfirst.net
Tue Apr 5 11:32:51 EDT 2011

This is key, if you can't figure out which IP in your network is being
attacked you are not going to be able to advertise the affected route to
your ISP.  If you don't know what IP is being attacked, you will need to
advertise a larger netblock which is probably not what you want to do
because you will end up blackholing traffic for a lot of different folks and
your other customers will be unhappy :)

Without flow visibility, one way to accomplish this and determine the IP
under attack is to use something called Prefix-Specific Counters.  Something
along the following lines should help you to narrow it down.  Insert term 1
into the appropriate location

[edit firewall]
bogus at m120-1# show
family inet {
    prefix-action find-attacker {
        count;
        destination-prefix-length 32;
    }
}
filter incoming-policy {
    term 1 {
        then {
            next term;
            prefix-action find-attacker;
        }
    }
}

Then you could do a 'show firewall prefix-action-stats filter
incoming-policy prefix-action find-attacker' to isolate it to the host under
attack.

Stefan Fouant, CISSP, JNCIEx2
www.shortestpathfirst.net
GPG Key ID: 0xB4C956EC