[j-nsp] MX RE-1800 / junos 64 experience?

Johannes Resch jr at xor.at
Wed Apr 6 03:47:21 EDT 2011

On 06.04.2011 04:12, Erik Muller wrote:
> Anybody have any experience (positive or negative) they can share with
> the new RE-S-1800X*? I'm looking at an upcoming MX purchase, and for the
> price it's tough to justify sticking with the tried-and-true 1300 or
> 2000 in favor of the new REs ... unless the new ones, or the Junos
> versions they require, aren't fully baked yet.

We are running dedicated BGP route reflector MX with RE-S-1800X4-16G,
using 64bit 10.4S1. Working fine so far in that role.
Of course, the 16G RAM are not much use today as rpd is not yet
64bit-enabled.

Also, keep in mind that 64bit JunOS is a few releases behind 32bit JunOS
feature wise - so if you rely on bleeding edge features, they might not
(yet) be included in the 64bit JunOS flavor.

cheers,
-jr