[j-nsp] JUNOS (undocumented) hardware diagnostics commands

Martin T m4rtntns at gmail.com
Fri Apr 8 12:03:23 EDT 2011

I found an unofficial guide on juniper.cluepon.net which describes
following memory testing technique:

   *  start shell user root
   * vty ssb/feb
   * bringup chassis slot-state 0 diag
   * diagnostic set mode manufacturing
   * diag clear log
   * diag bchip 0 sdram

Example(Juniper M20):

SSB1(M20 vty)# diag bchip 0 sdram
[Waiting for completion, a:abort, p:pause]
B SDRAM (Slot 0) test
phase 1, pass 1, B SDRAM (Slot 0) test: Address Test
phase 2, pass 1, B SDRAM (Slot 0) test: Pattern Test
phase 3, pass 1, B SDRAM (Slot 0) test: Walking 0 Test
phase 4, pass 1, B SDRAM (Slot 0) test: Walking 1 Test
phase 5, pass 1, B SDRAM (Slot 0) test: Mem Clear Test
B SDRAM (Slot 0) test completed, 1 pass,  0 errors

SSB1(M20 vty)#

As I understand, I connected to SSB("vty ssb/feb"), then brought SSB
to diagnostics mode, cleared the log(one is able to check the log with
"show diagnostic log") and finally ran the RAM test. One interesting
command for example is "diagnostic craft visual", which blinks all the
leds on the craft interface :)

I have never seen such commands in official documentation. What are
they for? And are there any other known useful commands there? Is
there a proper documentation for those commands?

regards,
martin