[j-nsp] MX and microbursting...

Derick Winkworth dwinkworth at att.net
Mon Apr 11 13:43:34 EDT 2011

All:

I have a Cisco 7206VXR w/NPE-G2 attached to an MX.  The issue I am seeing is
ignored packets on the 7200.  It turns out, the 1G interfaces on the NPE-G2 have
128 packet rx-rings and this is not a tunable thing.

I have tuned up buffers and hold-queues on the 7200 and this has drastically
reduced the number of dropped packets, but still there is this rx-ring
limitation.  This is actually a fairly well known issue as I understand it.

Is there anything I could do on the MX to control the microbursting outbound
towards the 7200?

Derick