[j-nsp] MX and microbursting...

Derick Winkworth dwinkworth at att.net
Mon Apr 11 17:20:20 EDT 2011

We've done that.  Its the rx-ring on the controller in the NPE-G2.  That is not
tunable.  A show controller indicates we are basically microbursting 128 or more
packets at a time (faster than the next cycle to pull packets off the ring).

Increasing the permanent buffers and the hold-queue definitely reduced the
number of dropped packets significantly, but still over the last 8 hours
(business day) I see about 10k drops.  Granted, its over 1.2 billion packets.  I
just don't like seeing 10k drops during the business day.

I will apply traffic-shaping as per previous post.