[j-nsp] MX480 troubles.

Justin M. Streiner streiner at cluebyfour.org
Wed Apr 13 14:35:01 EDT 2011

On Wed, 13 Apr 2011, Chris Evans wrote:

> It seems like alot of folks run bleeding edge code with some if these major
> bugs popping up.I also get the impression that a lot of shops don't test
> code before they deploy.

That depends on your definition of 'test' :)  Seriously, though.  I've
seen shops do a "does-it-boot" test, some very impressive regression
testing, or somewhere in the middle.

People have to strike a balance between the number of person-hours spent
regression-testing a new code release and the impact of tripping a bug
that snuck through your testing.  Many places I've seen don't have the
ability to perfectly replicate their production environment in their
testing lab, so the testing becomes about having a reasonable level of
confidence.

I'll agree that bleeding-edge code should be avoided in production,
however there are cases for some people where there isn't a choice.
Support for a new piece of hardware or a new feature that suddenly
becomes critically important is one example.  Another could be where a
bug fix is needed, and that bug is only being fixed (initially) in newer
code releases.

Sadly, we've all probably been there... :(

jms