[j-nsp] Interesting SRX issue.

Paul Stewart paul at paulstewart.org
Wed Apr 13 15:46:19 EDT 2011

Which JunOS version?

-----Original Message-----
From: juniper-nsp-bounces at puck.nether.net
[mailto:juniper-nsp-bounces at puck.nether.net] On Behalf Of OBrien, Will
Sent: Wednesday, April 13, 2011 3:37 PM
To: J NSP
Subject: [j-nsp] Interesting SRX issue.

I had a misbehaving SRX100 the other day that had an interesting symptom.

It's got a IPSEC tunnel between itself and a SRX240.
The tunnel itself was up, but I couldn't pass traffic over the tunnel.

A look at /var/log/messages revealed a cold boot earlier in the day.
A look at the chassis alarms revealed that the boot rom needed to be fixed.

So, I loaded a fresh junos installer on the box and ran the usual request
software add validate.

The update hated my config (missing certificate) but I did get the bios
fixed - it stated that it upgraded the bios from version 0.0 to version 1.7!

I left the code as it was, but rebooted with the fixed rom/bios and now it
passes traffic fine over the tunnel and chassis alarms are clear.

comments?