[j-nsp] MX480 troubles.

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Sun Apr 17 22:02:12 EDT 2011

On Thursday, April 14, 2011 01:27:15 AM Chris Evans wrote:

> Question to you all...
>
> It seems like alot of folks run bleeding edge code with
> some if these major bugs popping up.I also get the
> impression that a lot of shops don't test code before
> they deploy.

Well, in our case, the MX's we're buying for one of our
networks are shipping with the MPC/MIC boards. The other
network we operate is running DPC's on much older code
(read: stable).

As we've all seen and heard from others on this list, the
MPC's/MIC's need to run the latest code, which is not always
stable. It's a case of finding some functionality for your
cards than having none at all.

One could go for the DPC's which are far more stable, but
they're down on some burned-in features and don't favour the
cost/benefit ratio.

There's also the way Juniper manage bug fixes and new
features in their releases, which means you're really
chasing code either to fix issue and get new features for
the hardware you have - and on and on and on. It's really
painful, and probably one of the biggest issues we (and
several others, I'm sure) have with Juniper at this time.

Mark.