[j-nsp] Setting IP precedence-6 for HTTP traffic in aggregate-ethenet ae0.2 interface

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Mon Apr 18 01:14:44 EDT 2011

On Monday, April 18, 2011 11:56:38 AM Dobbins, Roland wrote:

> Routers use these markings in order to reserve sufficient
> queue capacity to handle control-plane traffic even in
> the event of link saturation.  I can't think of a
> legitimate use-case for marking data-plane traffic as
> precedence 6/7, and there's an obvious argument per the
> above for not doing so, heh.

I'm not disagreeing with you. I'm just saying that even
user-configured values are valid and can work.

Is it more effort? Yes.

Is it prone to misconfiguration presently or in the future?
Yes.

Is it best practice? Maybe, maybe not.

The point is, there's more than one way to make it work, and
I'm almost certain some folks don't use the defaults (we
do).

So if the OP decides to use IPP 6 for HTTP, probably because
he's customized IPP <something-else> for routing protocols,
it would still work. I probably wouldn't do it this way as
it's more cumbersome, but I'm sure someone else might prefer
to go this route.

Mark.