[j-nsp] output-list for ex4200

Richard A Steenbergen ras at e-gerbil.net
Wed Apr 27 11:57:20 EDT 2011

On Wed, Apr 27, 2011 at 12:24:25PM +0100, Nick Ryce wrote:

> Any ideas if this is supported in 10.4 as we have a standard ACL we
> use on most customer vlans and then a customer specific vlan?

Nah, filter chains are definitely not supported on EX, and I'm not aware
of any near term plans to add it.

Even on the major platforms, filter chains aren't exactly a completely
well-thought-out solution. Doing the "next term" operation that you need
to force packets to be evaluated all the way through the chain actually
consumes lookup capacity inside the firewall processing, and it is
surprisingly easy to exhaust this capacity. For example, something on
the order of a dozen filter terms in a chain, doing relatively simple
matching, is enough to exhaust the capacity of an I-Chip on an MX DPC.
When this happens, you'll suddenly discover that your ports are no
longer capable of doing line rate packets/sec, and there will be no
indications of the drops short of poking around in the "show ichip"
commands on the PFE. Needless to say, this can make for a really bad
day.

We use a commit script to automatically build unique per-interface
firewall filters out of individual filter config components. It's not
pretty, but unfortunately this is really the only practical way to get
the kind of config reuse you're looking for, not to mention the only way
to actually protect the control plane on the EX. :)