[j-nsp] vrf-export practical proposals welcome....

Peter Krupl Peter.Krupl at siminn.dk
Fri Apr 29 07:55:05 EDT 2011

Hi Group,

I trying to think of a practical solution for communities to be applied to VRF routes.
We have a mpls network consisting of several MX'es as PE routers. The PE routers have
BGP PE-CE perrings and off course PE-PE peerings.

Our advertising of routes to external peers is controlled by communities..

Applying a community directly to a static route is possible albeit ugly, since this
spreads community assignment to both static routes and policy statements.
Applying a community to a direct(connected) route seems only to be possible
by applying a vrf-export policy for the PE-PE sessions, and applying a policy to
the PE-CE neighbours.

For the sake of consistency i would strongly prefer a solution where theese are only defined
in a single place. So im thinking of a solution where the setting of communities is in a seperate policy,
and then several policies are applied where needed.

Policy1, apply route target (this is necessary in a vrf-export policy)
Policy2, apply communities according to route filter.
Policy3, filter based on communities (even those set by policy2, is this even possible)

So vrf-export should be [ policy1 policy2]
And the PE-CE export should be like [ policy2 policy3 ].

Anyone got a better solution ? Or even a practical example, that is easy to maintain ?

Kind Regards,
Peter Krüpl