[j-nsp] Ex Series | 10.4R3.4 Limited Received routes

Bill Blackford bblackford at gmail.com
Fri Apr 29 12:33:40 EDT 2011

I'm seeing some strange behavior with a EX3200 10.4R3.4 with how it
receives bgp routes.
The output below shows peer 172.16.2.12 that is sending a full table.
The EX is accepting a 0.0.0.0/0 exact and 0.0.0.0/0 upto /19. I should
be seeing 350k in the Received and about 28k in the Active (yes, I
know EX's can't handle 28k). What it appears is happening is that I'm
only 'Receiving' a subset of the full table and then a /0 upto /19
smattering of that 65k.

admin at ex3200-24t> show bgp summary
Groups: 2 Peers: 2 Down peers: 1
Table          Tot Paths  Act Paths Suppressed    History Damp State    Pending
inet.0             16365       4371          0          0          0          0
Peer                     AS      InPkt     OutPkt    OutQ   Flaps Last
Up/Dwn State|#Active/Received/Accepted/Damped...
172.16.2.12           64512      92672       2035       0       0
15:12:10 4371/16365/4372/0    0/0/0/0

Here's my import policy. Fairly basic.

policy-statement BGPIMPORT {
    term SEQ-100 {
        from {
            protocol bgp;
            route-filter 0.0.0.0/0 exact;
            route-filter 0.0.0.0/0 upto /19;
        }
        then accept;
    }
    term SEQ-101 {
        then reject;
    }
}

Now in contrast, a SRX210 is seeing:

admin at SRX210-TEST> show bgp summary
Groups: 2 Peers: 2 Down peers: 0
Table          Tot Paths  Act Paths Suppressed    History Damp State    Pending
inet.0            353872         76          0          0          0          0
Peer                     AS      InPkt     OutPkt    OutQ   Flaps Last
Up/Dwn State|#Active/Received/Accepted/Damped...
172.16.2.12           64512     173198       6642       0       2  2d
2:00:56 75/353871/76/0       0/0/0/0

Obviously my SRX import policy is different and therefore accepting
less, however the point is that the 'Received' is consistent with what
I would expect to see on the EX3200.

admin at SRX210-TEST> show version
Hostname: SRX210-TEST
Model: srx210b
JUNOS Software Release [10.2R3.10]

So, if the EX is filtering a percentage of the received routes, is
this proportional? IOW, if I should be receiving 8k routes, do I only
see 1k being received?
Is this new undesired behavior introduced in 10.4R3.4? I don't have
another EX in test that I can verify this with earlier code. I don't
know if I can downgrade to say a 10.2 version now that my Resilient
Dual-Root Partitions and new jloader are installed. It would be nice
to verify this on earlier code and submit a bug if it's warranted.

Thank you in advance for any thoughts on this.

-b

--
Bill Blackford
Network Engineer

Logged into reality and abusing my sudo privileges.....