[j-nsp] Junos Pulse / SRX240 problems

Paul Stewart paul at paulstewart.org
Wed Aug 3 16:05:36 EDT 2011

Hi Jeff...

I find this quite interesting as we have a fair number of SRX deployed with
a limited number offering Dynamic VPN.

I just checked an SRX210 running 10.2R3.10 that we were planning to upgrade
to 10.4R4.5 as per Juniper recommended release.  It does not have this issue
and the dynamic VPN works quite well.

We had a ticket running with Juniper for quite a while on the "multiple
logins" problem - our users are pretty used to entering their credentials
twice each time they connect however I was informed today that they haven't
had to do this in quite some time (we have no idea why).

On that particular SRX210 we do have "local logins" working with no Radius
server - there was a lot of JTAC confusion that this wasn't supported but
after 2 months of wrestling we got it working just fine.  In fact, we don't
have any Dynamic VPN's running with Radius servers to date.  I did notice on
the 10.4R4.5 and higher releases (someone might correct me on the exact
release it was introduced) that local IP pools are now functional - this is
a major feature that should have been incorporated since the first release
in my opinion.

This is all using the Access Manager client - we have not had very good
reliable success with Pulse neither which is too bad as it seems like it
*will* be a much nicer client to work with.

Most of our customers we have on SA platform which works extremely well
including IPhone, MAC, PC etc.  Unfortunately this introduces more costs to
customer deployments though.  Pulse does work very well with the SA series
as well.

Hope this helps..

Cheers,

Paul