[j-nsp] acceptable/good laser receive power in case of different interfaces

Keegan Holley keegan.holley at sungard.com
Mon Aug 8 10:20:13 EDT 2011

2011/8/7 Martin T <m4rtntns at gmail.com>

> Lane,
> while browsing the specifications of the optical modules listed in
> this "Optical Interface Support—EX 3200 and EX 4200 Switches.pdf"
> file:
>

> http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/en_US/release-independent/junos/topics/reference/specifications/optical-interface-support-ex-series.pdf
>
> ..all the modules have minimum and maximum launch power which differ
> from each other quite a lot. What does this mean? Shouldn't the launch
> power be consistent?

Not at all.  As I said each type of transceiver will have a different
rating.  So a 1310nm single mode sfp with a max distance of 10km will be
much more powerful than an 850nm multimode sfp with a max distance of 500m.
 It takes more power to push light 10km than it takes to push it 500m.  Also
the multimode optics are led based and the single mode ones are laser, so
they aren't even the same type of light.

In addition, what is a "Maximum Receiver
> Sensitivity"?

This one I'm not 100% sure about.  It sounds like the lowest the rx can go
before the switches considers the interface down, but that's just a guess.

> David, Keegan,
> thank you for explanation!
>

> In addition, there isn't some sort of connection between Rx power and
> Tx power, is there? I mean for example in case the received signal is
> low, the transmit signal of the SFP/XFP is increased automatically? As
> far as I know and as Lane confirmed, the Tx signal should be always
> consistent..

The devices don't communicate signal strength so the transmitting device has
no way of knowing what the other device is receiving if anything at all.  In
general the path is either good or bad.  The signal will vary from one
second to the next but not because of any attempt at boosting the signal.