[j-nsp] debugging inter-AS VPLS

Simon Chen simonchennj at gmail.com
Mon Aug 8 11:30:40 EDT 2011

Hi all,

I've been trying to get inter-AS VPLS to work in my lab. Very strange
problem experience as follows:

Set up:
* ISP1: R1-R2-R3-R4-R1, in a ring fashion. OSPF, MPLS, RSVP, full mesh
iBGP with labeled-unicast/resolve-vpn and l2vpn enabled, full mesh
loopback to loopback LSPs.
* ISP2: R5 only, connecting to R3 (ASBR). One eBGP session between two
interface IPs, with labeled-unicast/resolve-vpn configured. One eBGP
session between two loopbacks, with l2vpn signaling enabled.

Now, I want to connect three sites, on R1, R2 and R5. On R1 and R2, it
shows that two other remote sites are up. On R5, it shows that R1 site
is up, but R2 site is "remote site ID not minimum designated". Not
sure why this is happening. The VPLS configuration on R1, R2, and R5
are here:

on R1:
VPLS515 {
    instance-type vpls;
    interface ge-0/1/0.515;
    route-distinguisher 111:1;
    vrf-target target:111:1;
    protocols {
        vpls {
            site ca-515 {
                site-identifier 1;
            }
        }
    }
}

on R2:
VPLS515 {
    instance-type vpls;
    interface ge-0/1/0.515;
    route-distinguisher 111:2;
    vrf-target target:111:1;
    protocols {
        vpls {
            site il-515 {
                site-identifier 2;
            }
        }
    }
}

on R5:
VPLS515 {
    instance-type vpls;
    interface ge-0/0/0.515;
    route-distinguisher 111:3;
    vrf-target target:111:1;
    protocols {
        vpls {
            site tx-515-1 {
                site-identifier 3;
            }
        }
    }
}

If I disable R1's VPLS, then R2 site becomes up on R5.

I looked at the MPLS routes. On R1 and R2, they have two different
labels for their traffic going to R5 site, 800048 and 800049. On R3
(ASBR in this case), it swaps 800048 to 800064 and 800049 to 800065.
On R5, it only takes 800064, and routes to the vt interface. There is
no entry for 800065 on R5.

Thoughts?

Thanks.
-Simon