[j-nsp] acceptable/good laser receive power in case of different interfaces

evangellick@btinternet.com evangellick at btinternet.com
Tue Aug 9 02:52:18 EDT 2011

Receiver sensistivity applies in electrical interfaces as well as optical interfaces, typically this does effect SX devices, however it has been observed that you can overdrive the receive hardware on SX & TX interfaces. If the received electrical signal is to high to fit wiring the operating envelope of the receiver.
I understand in the case of optical, best common practice is to attenuate the signal to about the mid-point between maximum & minimum receiver sensitivities. In the case of electrical, resistive hybrid maybe used to attenuate by between 3dB & 6dB.
It is sometimes overlooked that to drive the receiver too high can be as bad as to send too low a signal.

I hope this helps

Sent from my HTC