[j-nsp] BGP "Holdtime", " Active Holdtime" and "Preference" values

Martin T m4rtntns at gmail.com
Tue Aug 9 07:55:56 EDT 2011

Hi,
in case one has following settings active with it's BGP peer:

  Holdtime: 90 Preference: 170
  Active Holdtime: 90
  Keepalive Interval: 30

..then what do they mean? As I understand, "Holdtime" is the maximum
number of seconds allowed to elapse between the time that a BGP system
receives successive keepalive or update messages from a peer. So if
the holdtime is configured to 90s, the "Holdtime" value under "show
bgp neighbor I.I.P.P" doesn't change, does it? How is "Active
Holdtime" different from "Holdtime"? And what does this "Preference"
mean?

Last but not least- in case of the configuration above, is it possible
that the connection between peers is down for example 80 seconds and
then comes back up, but as holdtime is set to 90s, the session stays
up?

regards,
martin