[j-nsp] anti DDoS in trio MX'es ?

bas kilobit at gmail.com
Tue Aug 9 09:11:24 EDT 2011

Hi,

I was reading the release notes for 11.2, and I noticed a new feature:
"Protection against distributed denial of service (DDoS) attacks "
As I was interested I read the configuration guide. (tinyurl to the
pdf http://tinyurl.com/3ptp8tu)

But after reading it I do not really understand why it is called DDoS
protection.
It seems more like a large J customer which provides pppoe services
had issues with dhcp / pppoe storms, and asked Juniper to build
policers for them.
I don't see where this has any benefit over a properly configured re
input filter.

Anyone on this list understand how this feature can be used in any
sensible way against "real" internet DDoS attacks?

Kind regards,

Bas