[j-nsp] snmp count for arp policer?

Clarke Morledge chmorl at wm.edu
Tue Aug 9 11:22:59 EDT 2011

To bring some closure to this thread, it appears that the ARP policer
counters for SNMP access have been fixed in Junos 10.4R6.

However, this is still only helpful for tracking ARP events exceeding your
policer threshold.   As Stefan pointed out to me, if you have family
bridge interface on an MX, you can implement a family bridge filter to
look for "ether-type arp" and count that way.  Unfortunately, if you have
VPLS running and the only interface you have in your VPLS instance is an
IRB, this will not help you.

I guess the only workaround is to put your family bridge filter with the
counter on your remote PEs to do your counting for you on your
ingress/egress ports into the VPLS cloud.  Not a very elegant solution,
but better than nothing.   Otherwise, configuring the appropriate
threshold for your ARP poliicer is a lot of guesswork.

Junos is a great solution, but visibility into what is going through the
routing platflorm is lacking in some areas.

Clarke Morledge
College of William and Mary
Jones Hall (Room 18)
Williamsburg VA 23187