[j-nsp] load balancing in Route reflector scenario

Harry Reynolds harry at juniper.net
Wed Aug 10 18:04:12 EDT 2011

I always thought that advertise-inactive was to make a juniper act like a cisco with regard to BGP route announcements, when, by default, differences in route preference cause a JUNI to prefer an IGP route while ios prefer the bgp routs over IGP.

In junos, only the active route is readvertised/subject to export policy. With advertise-inactive you can make a juniper router, whose active route is an IGP route, advertise into BGP the "best bgp path", which here is inactive due to the igp route being preferred.

W/o this knob replacing a cisco with a juniper can result in previously advertised bgp routes no longer being advertised.

From: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk365/technologies_tech_note09186a0080094823.shtml

eBGP  20

. . .

OSPF  110