[j-nsp] Netscreen to SRX Conversion

Kevin Cullimore kcullimo at runbox.com
Sat Aug 13 17:47:37 EDT 2011

On 8/13/2011 9:37 AM, OBrien, Will wrote:
> Agreed. You'll be well served to do these by hand. Especially given screenos's habit of not displaying all of a multipart policy on the command line.
>
> However, it's a pretty simple task to migrate the address entries to the address book format.
> Once that's done, policies aren't too bad of a job.
>
> On Aug 13, 2011, at 7:40 AM, Darren Bolding wrote:
>
>> Having done a number of these migrations in the past, the tool is frequently
>> not going to get you what you want- at least it didn't for me.
>>
>> I ended up building a few python and shell scripts to create address objects
>> and migrate policies, but the rest of it was best dealt with by hand.
>>
>> Nothing against the i2j tool- it's a difficult if not impossible problem.
>> It just didn't work in any of the instances I worked with it.
It's merely difficult, not impossible. It DOES, however, require more
programming skills than the average implementer of firewalls &
routing/switching gear possesses.

I've yet to encounter or hear of a firewall conversion project making
use of automation that didn't involve manual verification and correction
of the output.