[j-nsp] MX80 as BRAS

Paul Stewart paul at paulstewart.org
Thu Aug 18 14:49:05 EDT 2011

We are just heading down that road with a bunch of MX80's... if I recall
there are 16k IFL's in the MX80 which (if vlan tags are present) we're told
means a max of 8k sessions (2 IFL's per subscriber).  Somewhere in some
discussions with Juniper we understand that it's realistically 4-5K though.

The other thing is that it has no LNS functionality today we're told - for
our needs on these projects that is fine as we're going "native PPPOE"
directly off DSLAM aggregation points (Occam/Calix).

I'd love to hear some feedback on this though too - we've just labbed up the
first box but have not passed any traffic on it yet and verify the
information that's been told to us so far...

Cheers,

Paul