[j-nsp] Juniper RPM Monitoring

Saku Ytti saku at ytti.fi
Thu Aug 25 10:07:11 EDT 2011

On (2011-08-25 10:36 +0100), Danny Vernals wrote:

> Using it to monitor availability worked fine but if you're planning on
> monitoring latency and jitter then my findings were to do this you'd
> need an MS-DPC.  With an MS-DPC the service can use two-way time
> stamping, without one you can only do one-way timestamping and you're
> reliant on the RE so results are subject to variance when the router
> is busy with RPD etc.  There was a significant difference between
> latency / jitter measured on external probes compared to results based
> on RPM.

I'd really want to see RPM timestamping implemented in trio. With accurate
clock source to the router and hardware timestamping RPM could be produce much
better than millisecond accurate measurements regardless of RE related
latencies.

I recall hearing prior to EX launch that they would timestamp RPM in hardware,
but later someone I know who I know suspected this not to be true due to
results he was seeing.

--
  ++ytti