[j-nsp] DPC or MPC with MX480

Jeff Richmond jeff.richmond at gmail.com
Thu Aug 25 12:40:15 EDT 2011

My personal opinion is that it depends on the situation. If you want any of the higher density cards or any of the newer interfaces you are going to have to go MPC. We have a large number of MXs of varying size and I made the decision to remain DPC based as opposed to mix-chassis (as I couldn't justify ditching the large number of DPCs we have now). However, we are evaluating the MX for a different role that requires MPCs so we'll look at that, but only as an MPC-only unit. Unless something drastically changes, I can't ever see us moving to a mixed DPC/MPC MX just because it is asking for pain based on interop issues thus far (and widely discussed here previously).

Regards,
-Jeff