[j-nsp] 32-Bit JunOS on the 64-Bit Routing Engines

Jonas Frey (Probe Networks) jf at probe-networks.de
Fri Aug 26 00:49:17 EDT 2011

Well, i do have Atoms running here with 32bit and PAE and 8 GB of ram.
Even the rather slow N270 does support this. The Intel board D525MW
(which includes a soldered D525 Atom) officially (intel website)
supports only 4GB but will run fine with 8 GB.

Of course there might be older Atoms that do not support either PAE
and/or x64. But newer Gen's pretty much do.

Not sure if a Atom is useful in a router anyway...its not that powerfull
as a normal Core i3/i5. With Juniper now using 55xx Xeon's in the
multi-core RE's i guess they decided to beef up the power on them
because of growing IPv6 route tables as well as large (multiple)
VRF/IPv4 tables.