[j-nsp] DPC or MPC with MX480

Pavel Lunin plunin at senetsy.ru
Fri Aug 26 04:50:10 EDT 2011

> I am in process of procuring new hardware and I've got a question. If you
> were to go for MX480 would you order it with MPCs or DPCs. Also if your
> network were to have MX80s as well which are Trio based would that
> influence
> the decision on choosing either MPCs or DPCs for the MX480s?

I'd say you should buy DPCs only if you really need any features, that MPC
does not support (yet :). NG mVPN or something like (be sure you really need
it now). But if you also have MX80s in the network, this can mean you won't
run anything Trio does not support. Though this really depends on the role
of the boxes.

Another case is budget restrictions, DPC can be cheaper for a given
configuration (usually requiring fewer port). But this does not look to be
the case with MX480: the lager the box, the more ports you need, the less
chances DPC is cheaper.

Otherwise, if you buy DPC now, you will definitely run into the need of
mixing cards in future, which is no doubt worse than any of the two options.