[j-nsp] MX80 Questions

Julien Goodwin jgoodwin at studio442.com.au
Sat Aug 27 08:48:19 EDT 2011

On 27/08/11 22:13, Saku Ytti wrote:
> Hardwarewise scaling is same as any MPC in larger MX, but control-plane is lot
> less beefy than big brothers. Not really sure why, it's not like intel CPU
> would be significant BOM addition to MX80 compared to freescale.
> <tinfoilhat>downscaling trio would have been expensive, lot cheaper to reduce
> the scale of the box is to fit it with poorer RE with less memory</tinfoilhat>

OK that's not really fair. Even a trivial embedded Intel x86 (and most
usably performing clones) are a *lot* more complex then PowerPC can be
(which is still worse then the single-chip ARM systems now available).
In dollar terms after everything's added in it should have worked though.

I've yet to open up an MX80 (the one we had in the office was only
around for two days before it got shipped off to one of our POP's for an
experiment) to even see if there is space that could have hosted one.

Hopefully an SMP JunOS for it will come out sometime soon to let the RE
catch up with at least the slow Intel RE's.

I am still  aggro about the storage issue though (I suspect in a few
years selling retrofit storage upgrades for a few hundred dollars could
be a profitable side-business for someone).

--
Julien Goodwin
Studio442