[j-nsp] JUNOS 10.4S6 for EX8200 - PR/676826

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Wed Aug 31 00:58:31 EDT 2011

On Wednesday, August 31, 2011 11:28:31 AM Jackson Jacobson
wrote:

> I am curious about what version of junos people on the
> list run. If you're sticking way behind, why?

10.4R4.5 across the board here (10.4R6 on some MX's running
as BRAS's here).

We're not particularly pleased to see that even deep into
10.4R7, there are still some serious bugs, which makes you
wonder whether 10.4R8 will be really decent. I wouldn't mind
if Juniper slowed down a bit to make sure that by the time
they got to the final maintenance release for 10.4, it
really was as stable as rock! Then again, I'm almost certain
there will be service releases after that, so...

It's too much hassle to keep upgrading boxes around the
network, which is one of the reasons we're still sticking to
what we have. It's new enough to let our MPC's run without
being useless - and 11.x is just too much.

Juniper, please stop releasing new hardware for the time
being (at least for the MX), so we can get current code
stable for those of us who might not be adventurous enough
to try later code that fixes current MPC's problems, but
also introduces new generation boards along with new
chassis-wide bugs. Thank you.

Mark.