[j-nsp] JUNOS 10.4S6 for EX8200 - PR/676826

Majdi S. Abbas msa at latt.net
Wed Aug 31 08:43:26 EDT 2011

On Tue, Aug 30, 2011 at 08:28:31PM -0700, Jackson Jacobson wrote:
> I am curious about what version of junos people on the list run. If you're
> sticking way behind, why?

	I assume most people are running whatever SR JTAC gave them to
fix their most painful support case.

	More generically, by platform:

	If you're on EX, you're probably pushed towards the bleeding
edge.  To some degree this is true with MX, but it doesn't seem to be
progressing in the way that it is with EX.

        SRX, you might as well run whatever came on it, because it
won't work anyway.  The ALGs don't work, at times proxy arp doesn't
work, your logs will be full of interesting (and scary) error messages,
bugs that were supposed to have been fixed aren't, licensed features
(like dynamic-vpn) don't work at ALL, etc.

	J series, 9.3 if you can get away with it, since Juniper has
decided to make that thing into an enterprise firewall and is willing
to kill any and all actual routing capability that stands between
them and this goal of being able to sell 'something else' to those
already burned by the SRX.

	M/T series probably have the most flexibility as they have been
around long enough not to push people towards 10.4/11.[12] -- people
can just select the appropriate SR.

	If it sounds like I'm bitter about Juniper's code quality of
the last few years, it's early yet.

	Cheers,

	--msa