[j-nsp] Juniper QinQ problem

sthaug at nethelp.no sthaug at nethelp.no
Wed Aug 31 10:29:31 EDT 2011

> I dont understand the differnce between Chassis wide VLAN and probably line card based Vlan. Can you help me understand the same.

There are lots of discussions about this on the cisco-nsp list, due to
well known limitations of the 6500/7600 architecture. See for instance

     http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/cisco/nsp/99661

For a *switch* you normally expect VLANs to be "global" or "chassis wide".
For a *router* you normally expect VLANs to be per-port/per-interface.

And then there are boxes like Cisco 7600 "routers" :-)

(Yes, I realize this is a Juniper list.)

Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, sthaug at nethelp.no